Monday, April 30, 2012

The ice pick in my eye

I have had migraines since I was little.  I remember having "sick headaches" in grade school.  Looking back, I realize now they were migraines.  My mom and brother have them but no where near the degree I do.  My cousin on my mother's side has them pretty severe and I pretty much take after her.  I have a headache every single day now.



This is what I feel like is stabbing me through my right eye. It's always my right eye.  I am sensitive to sound, light, I will throw up, I will feel my eye lid start to droop.  I don't get auras but I do get flashes if I let it go too long.  All I want to do when one hits me is lay down in a dark room, take a vicodin and sleep.

A few years ago I finally saw a neurologist, he told me I was having "rebound" headaches on top of migraines.  He took me off of all my meds and put me on Topamax.  A few things happened, 1) I lost 40lbs in about three months 2)  I couldn't drink anything with carbonation immediately, the following day, and haven't since {6 years!} 3) I suffered all the side effects but they finally dissipated  after about 6 months, except for the carbonation issue and weight loss.  BUT the best part was my headaches decreased greatly and stayed away.....till last year. 

I started to have headaches again, I lived in denial again, thought it was the weather, thought it was stress, thought, thought, thought.  Finally my dr said "enough" and doubled my dose of Topamax.  It worked for one week....but the difference is I am on generic where before I took name brand.  I am going to try and go back to name brand and see what happens.  I wouldn't wish these on anyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment